Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Captain Sober

Recently I have found myself in the desirable position to many people needing my sober driving assistance.  I am happy to oblige as watching my friends and family get drunk before my eyes has been a somewhat entertaining experience.  The first was at my family reunion on Lake Geneva in Wisconsin.  We had a pontoon boat for the day and the driver of the boat is expected to be sober at all times.  (We have a friend who got a BUI- boating while intoxicated, and it is treated in the exact same fashion as a DUI.)  Finding the sucker who is willing to be sober for the two hour boat ride can, at times, be somewhat of a problem.  Not this trip! I was appointed Captain Sober and got the privilege of touring 11 of my family members around the lake looking at the big beautiful houses that surround it while watching them enjoy cold  cans of beer. *sigh*

Sober boat driving is somewhat harder than it looks.  First, you have 11 other drivers in the boat who are happy to remind you to slow down, speed up, watch for this boat, look out for that boat, turn here, slow down more and so on and so forth. And second, you aren't able to enjoy the scenery at your leisure as you do have to slow down, speed up and watch out for boats. I now have a new appreciation for all my past boat drivers who have carted me around for the past 34 years, letting me drink beer and take in the scenery as I wish.  I am eternally grateful.

Grojean Reunion- love love love these people!

Two weekends ago I again donned the Captain Sober hat as I took 6 of our close friends on a brewery tour of Fort Collins.  Ft. Collins is roughly an hour from Denver and finding a willing sober participant to  A. drive and B. not drink is basically impossible- hence the reason we hardly ever go.  Conveniently, I am perma-sober and so I offered my services.

The day was great and started with a DD Kit made just for me from Krystal and Gretchen, complete with any and all necessities that I might have needed to survive my sober day: eye shade and blanket for when I need a nap in the car.  A Sudoku book and cards for when I'm bored and need to sit in a corner and play solitaire and other quiet alone games.  A hand held fan and squirt bottle to cool myself off in the hot sun, water with electrolytes, some candy to sweeten the deal and a pregnancy test. (In case you are wondering...yes, Dollar Store pregnancy tests do work and yes, I am currently still pregnant.) It was really quite sweet of them and although we didn't return home until ten that night, I managed to stay very entertained and never needed any alone time for games or naps.
The Ft. Collins crew!

And finally, this past weekend I was probably the only sober/pregnant person at the 17th Annual Colorado Brewers Rendezvous Festival in Salida (a 4th annual for us!).  72 booths of amazing Colorado craft beer were there and I didn't have a single drop of any of it. *double sigh*  Our group of 12 friends drank plenty in my place over the course of the four hours, so much so that the next morning I remembered there is a wonderful perk to being pregnant- no hangovers!

I did get a few nasty stares from festival goers as I walked by them drinking root beer out of the beer festival glasses.  I wanted to yell at them, "It's root beer people!" and opted to drink lemonade from my glass to keep everyone's judgmental looks at bay.  It was the first day that strangers noticed and congratulated me on being pregnant.  (The lady at the deli counter noticed yesterday and the woman and the dry cleaners said something today!) Some growth spurt must have happened this weekend because no one has ever asked or mentioned it to me in public before. Yay!

Root beer, not beer, root beer!

Daniel is anxiously awaiting to feel
movement- none so far. :(

Fortunately for me, there are no pending sober drive trips for awhile.  I think I've earned some time off and will enjoy my last few weeks of summer break before I hit the ground running.  Week 17 started Monday--almost half way down. That blows my mind!  I am filling my time with lunches and quality hanging out with good friends and anxiously awaiting the arrival of Jules' baby any day now.  Can't wait to meet him or her!  Until next time...

~Mama Jess
Baby is as big as a turnip and
weighs 5 oz!



No comments:

Post a Comment