Sunday, April 21, 2013

Week 5

One week ago we found out we were going to have a baby!  My feelings about being pregnant have been all over the place: excited, ecstatic, scared, nervous, happy...the list could go on and on.  The hardest part about waiting several weeks to tell all our best friends and family?  Hiding this from our best friends and family...

Rewind to Friday afternoon: I had happy hour planned with North Star that we arranged well over a month ago.  All of my closest friends who now work at other schools were going to be there and I was very excited to see them.  The problem?  I am 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant and I cannot let the cat out of the bag this early.  I agonized over this for some time until I came up with a master plan.

On my way to the  restaurant I called and asked to speak to the waitress on the patio. I described my predicament and asked if she would help me with my plan.  St. Pauli Girl is a very light colored non-alcoholic beer that looks a lot like Coors Light.  She agreed to take my order of Coors Light with tomato juice and instead would make it with the non-alcoholic beer.  I described what I looked like and she cracked the slightest smile when I ordered my first beer.  It was awesome.  I nursed two over the course of the night and no one suspected a thing!  Happy Hour? Check!

The next morning I headed to Boulder to see my mom graduate from the Victim Advocate Volunteer Program.  I picked up Lex and we made our way to the ceremony.  Turns out we were an hour early and had some time to kill. The ceremony took place at the police station and was no less than five blocks from the Twisted Pine Brewery  I started praying in my head,  "Please don't suggest that we go to the brewery.  Please don't suggest we go to the brewery." Why I prayed, I have no idea, because I knew that Lex would suggest that we kill an hour here.  I called Daniel frantically from the parking lot and begged him to tell me what to do. I walked in, ordered, sipped and "faked" being too hungover from happy hour the night before (wink wink nudge nudge) to manage putting down even one beer.  I settled for a Sprite to calm my stomach managed to weasel my way out of another.  Twisted Pine?  Check!

That same evening I had a girls night planned with Meg, Angela, Meredith and Rhonda.  We booked a lady to come to Rhonda's house to give us pedicures and planned to drink wine and eat yummy food all evening.  This time, I had Meg as an accomplice! I had told her the news just an hour earlier and we schemed how we were going to make this night work--I wouldn't drink at all and she would drink double. :) It worked like a charm.  I pretended to sip wine all night when in fact I snuck away to the bathroom to pour some down the drain or to switch my glass with Meg's. It worked perfectly, that's what best friends are for!  Girls night? Check!

We are having our third annual birthday party- luau style in two short weeks.  This one will be easy- use empty beer bottles and fill them with non-alcoholic liquid.  It'll be  a piece of (birthday) cake!

I'm looking forward to May 13th when we go to our first doctors appointment.  Stay tuned. <3

~Mama Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment